New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Who Is Where:
07: Photo Gallery
No staff members are online!
Back to top Skip to content Skip to menuBack to top Back to main Skip to menu
Restoration Phases 1 to 3 Completed
St Peter's Restoration
Posted by: nickclarke on Wednesday February 06, 2013
By March 2011 we were delighted to report the completion of the most significant phase of the restoration work of this 150-year-old church. In many ways this has been a remarkable venture into a project that challenged us with budgets far in excess of our usual income and expenditure. However, St. Peter’s community possesses a spirit to rise to all kinds of challenges. We have been delighted by the financial support of many friends; friends we never knew we had, both here in the local community and in the wider network of people in Paris and beyond. Donations have arrived from the most unexpected sources. Even more remarkable has been the way that the financial provision materialised just at the appropriate time, not least in the significant legacy we received from a dear lady who had been so faithful to St. Peter’s. For sure, we have experienced the ‘hand’ of God guiding, strengthening and encouraging us along this journey. more ...
Prince d’Orléans, prince français, prince chrétien, je ne peux que m’associer au projet de restauration de l’église St. Peter’s. Le duc d’Aumale, mon arrière-grand-oncle, l’a voulue pour Chantilly. Elle manifestait les liens qui unissaient les Orléans à la société britannique. C’est le symbole sacré d’une communion de civilisation.
Chantilly est anglophile depuis plus de 150 ans ! Cette passion a imprimé sa marque partout ; voyez le jardin anglais, voyez le champ de courses, voyez aussi l’église anglicane St.Peter’s ! Une passion qui s’exprime aussi dans la présence d’une communauté anglophone nombreuse, enracinée, dynamique, qui fait la fierté de notre ville et avec laquelle j’éprouve beaucoup de plaisir à travailler.
St. Peter’s Church in Chantilly belongs to the worldwide community of the Church of England. It has made a wonderful contribution to the English-speaking community in the Chantilly area throughout many generations, from its origins in the 19th Century horse-racing fraternity to the present day. It now serves a vibrant, varied community of many different nationalities. The church, built in 1863, has stood the test of time. But it now needs urgent work to preserve the structure and to prevent further decay. The members of the St.Peter’s community are rising to the challenge with energy and enthusiasm. They deserve your support, moral and material, as the Restoration Committee sets about the vital task of raising the funds the project needs to succeed – as I am sure, with your help, it will.
Alan Decaux - de l’Académie française. Président du Collège des conservateurs du Domaine de Chantilly (1998 à 2009)
Depuis dix ans président, au nom de l’Institut de France, du Collège des Conservateurs du Domaine de Chantilly, je ne passe jamais devant l’église St. Peter’s sans émotion. Née de la volonté du duc d’Aumale à qui l’Institut doit la donation du Domaine, St. Peter’s ne peut que m’être chère. J’ai eu grand plaisir à rencontrer les pasteurs qui en assurent la bonne marche. Catholique, mais oecuméniste ardent, il m’est même advenu d’assister au culte que l’on y célèbre. Comment n’approuverais-je pas chaleureusement le projet de restauration de l’église St. Peter’s ?
The story of St. Peter’s has its roots in the rich history of the life of the Duc d’Aumale and his affection for the English-speaking community. Today, in the midst of such history,
there remains a vibrant, multi-national worshipping community who continue to make the building of St. Peter’s a very special place for worship, prayer, fellowship and community involvement. Our hope and prayer is that we pass on a good legacy for the next 150 years. It is a privilege to serve this community and to support the energetic leadership of this campaign to restore the church building.
|The Duc d’Aumale actively encouraged Anglophone immigration to Chantilly, in recognition of the warm welcome that he had received whilst in exile in England. In 1860 he sold a piece of land to Messrs Antrobus and Marjoriebanks, British bankers, who then gifted it to the Colonial and Continental Church Society. These patrons supported the building of a new church built on the rue des Cascades for the British community living in Chantilly, and in time, financed the ministry of services and activities in English.|
The church was constructed in 1865 under the guidance of the architect Thomas Fraser Duff (1830-1877) in a neogothic style, typical of village churches in England. The new sanctuary was consecrated in 1883 during the pastoral visit of the Archbishop of Gibraltar. The first pastor’s home was added in 1890-92. The tradition continues today with a strong Anglican community worshipping at the church. Parishioners come not just from the surrounding towns and villages but from as far away as Beauvais and beyond.
|The need to keep our church in good repair for future generations.|
Everyone who entered the church before 2009 could clearly see the extent of the problems on the left side of the nave: cracked walls, peeling paint, rotting or missing floorboards, etc. The site of the church building, located at the edge of a slope, combined with poor drainage, had weakened the walls and consequently some of the walls sagged, joints opened up, the arch ceiling structure needed restoration, as did the floor of the nave. This serious seepage problem led to the deterioration of the walls and the wooden floorboards.
According to M. Étienne Poncelet, head architect at the Historical Monuments, urgent restoration was required in the near future.
To safeguard the historical heritage of Chantilly.
This project not only concerned our church community but also the larger community of Chantilly. St. Peter’s Church represents the historical and social links of the Anglophone community with the city of Chantilly and its inhabitants.
This project received messages of support from dignitaries such as His Royal Highness Jean de France, direct descendant of the Duc d’Aumale (son of the French King Louis Philippe), whose transaction led to the Colonial and Continental Society (now the Intercontinental Church Society, our patrons) building St Peter’s in 1860, the former British Ambassador, Sir Peter Westmacott, our ex Government Minister of the Budget / Mayor of Chantilly, M. Éric Woerth and M. Alain Decaux from the Académie française, former Minister, Chairman of the Board of the Domain of Chantilly.
Numerous religious and non religious benefactors have begun donating funds to the project.
|In 1973, the Intercontinental Church Society renewed their patronage of St. Peter’s Church. The Society appointed four full-time chaplains in succession to look after the English-speaking community. The numerous plaques on the interior walls of the church bear witness to generations of British and Irish families who have made their home in Chantilly.|
A new building, completed in December 1992, constructed next to the church, was financed by donations and serves as the chaplain’s home, a community hall and a library. Today there are some 350 Anglophone families of many different nationalities living in Chantilly and its neighbouring towns and villages.
Since 2009, thanks to various initiatives (golf tournaments, Twickenham/Chantilly Bike Ride, concerts) and donations, the first 3 phases of restoration have been carried out: a new drainage system, modernised heating to meet regulations, the roofing and interior of the church.
Now the restoration needs to be completed with, as a priority, phase 4 then phase 5.
- Creation of an entrance ramp for the disabled in stone - €10 000
- Stained glass window repairs & double glazing (10 windows) - €28 000
- Perimeter wall repairs including railings/gate €30 500